September is Hunger Action Month
Hunger Action Month is a national campaign that was started here in Ontario by Feed Ontario and run in partnership with local food banks. During the month of September, we encourage the public to take action to end hunger in their communities in four key ways: Educate, Advocate, Volunteer, and Donate.
Take Action against Hunger
Learn about hunger in your community and talk about it with your friends, family & neighbours.
Talk to your elected representatives about long-term solutions to hunger and poverty.
Lend your time and talents to your local food bank.
Help us #FeedON by donating to help Feed Ontario.
There are many myths and misunderstandings that surround both the visitors of food banks and the root causes of hunger. In order to make our mission of a hunger-free Ontario a reality, it’s important that all Ontarians learn more about the truth of food insecurity in our province.
- Read our Hunger Report and research reports on the many issues that affect food insecurity.
- Explore our Hunger in your Riding Tool to see what food bank use looks like in your community.
- Visit our stories of hunger page to read first-hand accounts from those that visit, volunteer, or lead the charge at Ontario’s food banks.
Hunger is a symptom of poverty. Food banks exist across this province not because of a lack of food, but because many individuals do not have access to a sufficient income that allows them to afford all of their basic necessities. Long-term policy solutions are key to not only ending hunger, but alleviating poverty – but these require time and collaboration from community leaders and all levels of government.
- Tell Your MPP to close the housing gap and commit to creating more affordable housing so people don’t have to choose between paying for food and paying rent here.
You can lend your time and talents to your local food bank in many ways, including:
- Getting a group of co-workers together for a food drive or fundraiser
- Using your skills (or learning new ones) to help advance their mission
- Making a weekly commitment to sort food
- Attending one of their many events happening during Hunger Action Month!
For Hunger Action Month, we’ve profiled some superstar volunteers from across the province in our Volunteer Spotlight!
While we work towards long-term change, we also want to ensure that people in need have access to food today. Join with us and donate to help feed Ontario – every $1 you give provides 3 meals to someone facing hunger. There are also many amazing partner campaigns running during Hunger Action Month, giving you many different ways to join with us to feed Ontario.
Have your cake and eat it too! During this campaign, the Cheesecake Factory will donate 25 cents from each slice sold of their Coconut Cream Pie.
SEPTEMBER 2021 – AUGUST 2022
Nutty Hero’s initiative ‘Hero for Good’ is committed to donate a potion of their sales proceeds. Launching on September 20th, 2021, for every food or gear item sold, Nutty Hero will donate 33 cents to feed someone facing hunger
During the final week of HAM 2021, TMIG Ontario is taking action against hunger through an employee giving campaign. All donations made of up to $2,500 to Feed Ontario will be matched by TMIG-TYLIN as part of their first-ever 'Building Bridges in our Community' (BBC) Week initiative.