September is Hunger Action Month
Hunger Action Month is a national campaign that was started here in Ontario by Feed Ontario and run in partnership with local food banks. During the month of September, we encourage the public to take action to end hunger in their communities in four key ways: Educate, Advocate, Volunteer, and Donate.
Take Action against Hunger
Learn about hunger in your community and talk about it with your friends, family & neighbours.
Talk to your elected representatives about long-term solutions to hunger and poverty.
Lend your time and talents to your local food bank.
Help us #FeedON by donating to help Feed Ontario.
Learn more about food bank use in Ontario and the root causes of hunger.
- Read our Hunger Report, Cost of Poverty Report, and other research reports on the many issues that affect food insecurity.
- Explore our Hunger in your Riding Tool and Hunger Map to see what food bank use looks like in your community.
- Visit our stories of hunger page to read first-hand accounts from those that visit, volunteer, or lead the charge at Ontario’s food banks.
- Explore the Hard Truths of Hunger and learn what can be done to eliminate the need for food banks.
Hunger is a symptom of poverty. Low benefit rates for Ontario Works (OW) and the Ontario Disability Support Program (ODSP) combined with high clawbacks from other sources of income create barriers that trap recipients in a cycle of poverty.
- Tell your MPP to stop the clawbacks for social assistance recipients on earned income and benefits like EI, CPP, WSIB, and the upcoming Canada Disability Benefit here.
You can lend your time and talents to your local food bank in many ways, including:
- Getting a group of co-workers together for a food drive or fundraiser
- Using your skills (or learning new ones) to help advance their mission
- Making a weekly commitment to sort food
- Attending one of their many events happening during Hunger Action Month!
While we work towards long-term change, we also want to ensure that people in need have access to food today. Learn how Feed Ontario can stretch your donation. Every $1 you give provides 2 meals to someone facing hunger. There are also many amazing partner campaigns running during Hunger Action Month, giving you many different ways to join with us to Feed Ontario.
Have your cake and eat it too! During this campaign, the Cheesecake Factory will donate 25 cents from each slice sold of their Cookie Dough Lovers Cheesecake.
Nutty Hero’s initiative ‘Hero for Good’ is committed to donate a potion of their sales proceeds. For every food or gear item sold, Nutty Hero will donate 1% of their net sales to Feed Ontario.
Donate a Car Canada
When you donate your car, truck, RV, boat, or motorcycle to Feed Ontario through Donate a Car Canada, it will either be recycled or sold at auction, with net proceeds directed to Feed Ontario.